Friday 10 March 2006

Diamond in the dross

I watch quite a lot of TV, and some of it I actually enjoy. By chance, I have recently seen the same drama three times and would be happy to see it again. It is in black and white, has no dialogue and a very confused plot, with a small and engaging cast behaving in a good-natured but rather odd way. This didn't put me off because nowadays I find most dramas confusing and the actions of the characters often seem to me to be totally inexplicable.
It is amusing to watch and a pleasure to listen to, for the sound track consists of nothing but one of those gracious Victorian piano pieces, Mendelssohn’s Songs Without Words. I went on the internet to find out which one it was (who could identify all 48?): it is No. 32 in F# minor, Op.67 No. 2, allegro leggiero. Only snippets, unfortunately—bars 1-13, 51-52 and 54-56, but enough to provide a very happy interlude.
It doesn't bother me at all that the whole thing was created at enormous expense in a doomed attempt to persuade me to go out and buy a Volkswagen Jetta.

No comments: