Saturday 14 October 2006

Bush and the Apocalypse

While carrying out intensive research (i.e. wandering around the net) for the post on Endtimers, I came across a report dated March 4th this year of an interview with Joel C. Rosenberg, a writer of Christian apocalyptic fiction, who said that he had been invited to a White House Bible study group last year to talk about current events and biblical prophecy, so I thought it would be interesting to find out just how strong are Dubya’s beliefs in the Armageddon/Rapture/Tribulation prophecies, and whether they influence his views on world affairs. Happily, later that month in Cleveland, Ohio, he was asked the question and revealed all in his reply:

Q: “Do you believe that the war in Iraq and the rise of terrorism are signs of the Apocalypse? And if not, why not?”

DUBYA: “Hmmm, uhh, hah -- ummm -- I, the answer is -- I haven't really thought of it that way, heh, heh. Heh. Here's how I think of it. Ummm -- heh heh. First I've heard of that, by the way, I, ah -- uhh -- the, uhh -- I, I guess I'm more of a practical fella. Uhh. I vowed after September the 11th that I would do everything I could to protect the American people. And, uhh -- my attitude, of course, was affected by the attacks. I knew we were at a war. I knew that the enemy, obviously, had to be sophisticated, and lethal, to fly hijacked airplanes, uhh, into -- facilities that would, we would, killing thousands of people, innocent people, doin' nothing, just sittin' there goin' to work.”

So now we know. But this is only a transcript of what he said, though it is more complete than the official one issued by the White House, which omits the uhhs and the heh, hehs. It is one of the items collected in Dubyaspeak and there you can hear him saying it.

That website records dozens of other statements made by the most powerful man in the world which you can listen to or read: a real banquet of idiocy and ignorance. These two were both made in New Delhi in early March:
“I believe that a prosperous, democratic Pakistan will be a steadfast partner for America, a peaceful neighbor for India, and a force for freedom and moderation in the Arab world.”
“Obviously, nukyular power is a, uhh, renewable source of energy, and the less demand there is for non-renewable sources of energy, like fossil fuels, the better off it is for the American people.”

No comments: