Tuesday 1 May 2007

Next lines of songs

I realise that I chose rather obscure First Lines and Last Lines and that some highly literate people were unjustifiably dissatisfied with their inability to identify more than a couple. This one is much easier.

Here are lines from 25 songs, sublime or ridiculous, profound or frivolous, sacred or profane, simple strophic ditties or a complex marriage of words and music, expressing delicate feelings or peasant vulgarity, first published in the 16th century or a few years ago: covering songs, in fact, from gamma to ut.

The only thing they have in common is that they can all be SUNG. If anyone doubts this I shall be pleased to demonstrate, asking only for travel expenses, dinner with wine, a small fee and no laughter please. On second thoughts forget the fee, I enjoy singing all these; none of them are by Andrew Lloyd Bloody Webber.

What you have to do, if the paint is now dry and no other excitements are in the offing, is supply the name of the song and the next line or lines (the required number of words is indicated). Give yourself one point for knowing the next line or lines, and one for the name of the song.

1 And the waters as they flow (6)

2 Peu m’importe si tu m’aimes (6)

3 The Sons of the Prophet are hardy and bold and quite unaccustomed to fear (15)

4 Though they said at the school of acting she was lovely as Peer Gynt (12)

5 Though I am nothing to her, though she must rarely look at me (13)

6 Where seldom is heard a discouraging word (8)

7 If you should chance to meet 'im, walking round the town (13)

8 Erreicht den Hof mit Müh und Not (7)

9 Our feelings we with difficulty smother (8)

10 Venite all'agile, barchetta mia (4)

11 Confound their politics (4)

12 Hearts full of passion, jealousy and hate (9)

13 She stood on the bridge at midnight, dreaming of her blighted love (12)

14 Here’s my definition, believe me dear brother (7)

15 But I struck one chord of music (7)

16 Oppressed so hard they could not stand (4)

17 Most blessèd, most glorious, the Ancient of Days (7)

18 But as soon as someone kisses me (7)

19 When I went out for nuts and a programme (6)

20 If at those roses you ventured to sip (9)

21 If those lips could only speak and those eyes could only see (9)

22 Last night as I lay on my pillow, last night as I lay on my bed (15)

23 And the devil will drag you under by the sharp lapel of your checkered coat (8)

24 Down came a jumbuck to drink at the billabong (9)

25 Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer (7)

Answers are HERE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being below 45 and having a poorish memory for songs, my pitiably low score (which I shall not reveal) need come as no surprise.

However, I did recognize one particular line which is not quite as I recall it; you have it numbered at 13. Since no one is perfect I magnanimously forgive your mangling of the line, but for the edification of your loyal readership I must point out that in fact it goes:

She stood on the bridge at midnight, her lip was all a-quiver;
She gave a cough - her leg fell off, and floated down the river
.

A haunting image, in sooth.

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. No-one who bothered to try it was willing to tell me their score, except for one man who got 6 points. What's the matter with everybody?
There are of course many versions of "She was Poor...". The one from which you have quoted strikes me as pretty crude, and, moreover, doesn't scan. So phooey to you.

Froog said...

Well, I was rather saved from ignominy by recognising all of the last four. I knew the hymn, Immortal, Invisible..., from my school days, and the national anthem. And Home On The Range and Santa Lucia. And I dimly recognised the Piaf, but had no idea about the next line. So, I suppose that's 17 points.

I'm annoyed I missed Coward, G&S, and A Girl Who Cain't Say No.

And disappointed there was no Lehrer. That would assuredly have improved my score.

Anonymous said...

There's a long way between you and the second best: 17 points to 6.

I didn't include a Tom Lehrer because I thought practically everyone knew them all by heart.

I was wrong; obviously, most of my readers are ignorant, uncultured and, probably, no fun at parties.